Re: Sometimes I can't get to an attachment in outlook

Jim L

Mmm tried this but doesn't work with embedded files sent from a Mac

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Debby Hill via
Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, 22 October 2014 8:55 AM
To: Bissett, Tom; The Jaws for Windows support list.;
Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com
Subject: RE: Sometimes I can't get to an attachment in outlook

Hi All,

I think I might have the answer to this mystery. The message might be in
rich text format (RTF); and therefore, the attachment is embedded within the
message. In my archives, I found information on two ways to handle this
situation. The first one I don't believe, I have tried, so I am not sure it
will work. (I did not have an email to play with at work today.) The second
set of instructions, I remember using and they work. I am sorry, but I do
not know who submitted these to the list. Hope this helps!
Here goes:

If an e-mail is formatted in Rich Text format, the attachments are embedded
in the message and you are not able to navigate to the message header to
access the attachment. You need to change the message format to Plain Text
or HTML. Do the following for each message.

. Navigate to Format on the ribbon.

. Press Enter to open the format menu

. Tab until you hear "Format Group" by pressing the Tab
4 to 7
times.

. Use the up and down arrows to navigate the 3 button
choices. Find
Plain Text or HTML and press enter.

. You are put back in the message and now you can access
the
attachment in the header.

--------------------------

When you can't find an attachment that you know has been attached to an
e-mail, most likely the problem is that the document is embedded in the body
of the message. This happens when the message is created in Rich Text
Format (RTF). JAWS is unable to find documents when they are attached in
this manner. If you follow the below steps, you will be able to access the
attachment.

1. Open the e-mail with the embedded attachment.

2. Use Control+f to forward the e-mail with the attachment.

3. Type your e-mail address in the To field and press
Enter.

4. Press and release the Alt key to activate the ribbon.

5. Use the Right and/or Left arrows key to navigate to the
Format Text
tab.

6. Press the Down arrow once to move to the Lower Ribbon.

7. Press the Tab key 5 times to get to the Format Group
Box.

8. Use the Up and Down arrows to navigate through the 3
buttons, HTML,
Plain Text and Rich Text. Note that JAWS announces that the Rich Text
Format button is pressed. This confirms that the problem is that the
attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of attached in the
header.

a. If you select HTML by pressing Enter when you are
focused on it,
you will be returned to your message and you can Tab through the header and
find that the document is now attached in the traditional way and JAWS can
now find it.

b. If you select Plain Text by pressing enter when you are
focused on
it, you might encounter a dialog box letting you know that some features are
not supported and asked if you want to continue. Tab to continue and press
Enter. You are returned to your message and you can Tab through the header
and find that the document is now attached in the traditional way and JAWS
can now find it.

9. Use the Alt+s command to send the message.

10. Once you receive the message you can use your Up or Down
arrows to
navigate to the new message, and press enter to open it.

11. Use Shift+Tab to move to the attachment field in the
header.

12. Use the Right arrow to navigate to the actual attachment
and press
Enter to open it.

NOTE: If you anticipate only needing to read this document only this one
time, you do not need to actually send the message to yourself.
Skip adding
your e-mail address and just tab to the attachment and open it.

Have g good evening!

Debby