From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Brad Martin
via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2014 8:36 PM
To: Howard Traxler; The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: tagging on fb

Others have sort of answered this question, but for those who really know
very little about Facebook, here is a detailed explanation of the tagging
feature:

When I tag you, I mention you by name, but I do it in a way that links to
your Facebook page. So I might say, Having dinner with Howard Traxler.
And your name would be a link; anyone who clicked on that link would get to
your Facebook profile.

If I share something, like a news article, to my time line, I can tag you
when I share the article. This accomplishes two goals:
1. It puts a notification in your notifications list on Facebook, so you
are sure to know about the article. (If the article reminded me of you, I
want to make sure you see it.) 2. People who know you will see it in their
news feed, because you were tagged in my post. Therefore, your friends, who
would otherwise not see what I wrote if they're not my friends, would have a
chance to do so because the post is now open to your friends seeing it.

Tagging has its uses. You can tag people who are your friends. You can also
tag Facebook pages of businesses, organizations, or topics. For instance, I
can say that I am planning to have breakfast at my favorite donut shop and
tag them by name. That allows you to click on their name and read up about
them. Or I could say something like, "Spoke to Freedom Scientific support
today."
If I tagged Freedom Scientific, you could then click that tag and go
directly to the FS Facebook page.

Hope that helps to explain it, and sorry if it's overkill for those of you
who already knew that.

Brad
brad@...

On 9/6/2014 7:59 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
What does it mean to tag and why would I want to?