first post to list: lots of upgrades hints needed

Dee & Rick

Hello all, newby here,
I have just recently upgraded from windows XP to windows7, jaws 9 to jaws 12 and desk top to laptop, a learning curve for sure. Therefor, right now questions will be very basic. I didn't see any rules etc for this list so let me know if another list would be better.
Right now looking to find how to change volume of speakers on the fly. I'm use to just turning a knob on my desk top speakers.

When I am downloading digital books from Library of Congress and I go to put multiple books on my thumb drive, I always get a prompt saying there is already a folder with that name and click folder I want to keep. I ignore that prompt, because nothing seems to happen if I do click on it, just tab to the button saying copy but don't replace, hit space bar, however, I am constantly brought back to the same prompt until I keep tabbing until I reach a button that says skip, and then the last 5 seconds of the download to thumb drive finishes. All books end up on the thumb drive and able to read just fine but what's up with this?

thanks
Dee