Re: Chromevox and Kindles vs JAWS and iPads

Marianne Denning

I am a teacher of students who are visually impaired. The Office of
Special Education (OSEP) has issued a letter that no school district
is to provide materials in an electronic format that is not accessible
to all students. It does not matter whether there is a student in the
school who needs accessibility or not. Unfortunately, the school
districts are not getting the message. You certainly have a way to
fight this decision. Even if the school provides an alternative to
your daughter, she will not receive all of the information her sighted
peers receive. You can accept a work around or you can fight the
district on this issue. Many of us adults are used to making things
work but that is not always a good solution.

On 8/25/14, Tom macha via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
Good morning, yes that is right the school (state) is obligaited to
provide her with a work-around. Have a great day, Tom
On 8/25/2014 5:25 AM, Ed Marquette via Jfw wrote:
I think there won't be a JAWS solution available for you. Where
there is no Windows there will be no JAWS.
I've tried to use Chromevox on the PC with Google Docs and Google
Chrome. It stinks!
There is, nevertheless, some hope.
I have a Nexus Android device (came free with our Google Fiber
subscription). It has a built-in screen reader called talk back.
It is awkward, clunky, and hard to use, but it can be managed.
I would be surprised if a Google device isn't built on the android
operating system. So, Talkback should work.
Even if not, there is a company from Spain called Code Factory.
It used to make a screen reader (and a very good one) for Windows
phones (back when Microsoft thought it had to impose Windows on
mobile devices). When Microsoft dumped that operating system,
Code Factory turned to making Android devices talk. I've heard
demonstrations of the product (though not lately), and it is very
good; however, I don't know how long it can exist when Google
offers Talkback for free, even though Talkback is an inferior
product.
I think your school is legally obligated to make an accessible
option available to your daughter. If the school system refuses,
I think I can point you in the direction of someone who might
point out certain potentially applicable legal compulsions.