Re: JAWS 16

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

as far as I know, pricing is not changing although yes, I heard all the below points straight from tweets of the Jaws 16 presentation. No more XP support in 16. I can hear the wailing already. LOL

At 09:41 PM 7/1/2014, you wrote:
Indirectly, I received an email from someone at the NFB convention saying that FS has announced that JAWS 16 will not support XP. Anyone using XP might want to contact FS for confirmation.

That same email states that JAWS Standard will now be renamed JAWS Home and will be operable on Pro systems. FS will require the more expensive version of JAWS only for commercial purposes. I don't know how this will be enforced, but at first blush, it sounds as though pricing could become a little fairer and more rational.

I don't like to post claims I've read only third hand, but I'm doing so here because if these two points are true, they could affect some listers' purchasing decisions in the near future. I, for one, will select the cheaper SMA the next time mine expires if this new JAWS Home development comes about. Again, anyone affected should contact FS to confirm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Doris &Hubby Chris via Jfw
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 8:09 PM
To: Ford, Tim (CDPH-OLS); The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Revo Uninstaller

Hi,

i use jaws 13 on win xp with free revo's latest version and can
access any revo option required with just the system cursor of both
jaws and nvda.

hth

DorisAt 07:20 PM 7/1/2014, you wrote:
I have a solution/response to the separate question about Revo
Uninstaller, that was in an email string today on a different
subject. The question was:

"Is there a way to make Revo Uninstaller Jaws-friendly, so all the
controls are easier to select from and activate, and I don't just find
a Cancel and Back Button?"

With review mode, I am able to easily operate those otherwise
inaccessible Revo Uninstaller buttons that were mentioned as
requiring sighted assistance. Below I will explain how I do it,
although there may be other ways. I consider myself technically
challenged, so keep that in mind. If anyone wants to know more
specifics, please contact me off list and we can chat by phone.

Tim Ford

Operating Revo Uninstaller with JAWS

Note. I am using version 1.95, and the latest of JAWS version
15. I am on a Windows 7 machine, and prior to that, I used Revo
Uninstaller on an XP home edition machine. I intentionally decline
Revo's offer to update the software. This version works for me, so
why bother getting more current and then finding out that a new
version is inaccessible? End of note.

When you launch Revo Uninstaller, hereinafter called Revo, you will
find yourself at the top of the list of programs. The list is in
alphabetical order. First letter navigation works, so for example,
pressing the s key takes you to the first program in the list that
starts with s. Use the arrow keys to move through the list. You
need to use all four arrow key directions when navigating this list,
since the left and right arrow key navigation does not jump rows.
When on the program you want, press the application key, or
alternatively, the shift f10 key sequence. This gives you a list of
most of Revo's features. The first item on the list is "uninstall",
and is of course the most common item to select. But take the time
to go down the list to see some very nice other options. For
example, you can find out more about the program through options on
the list such as doing a Google search, or going to the web site for
the program creator. Use these options unless you are absolutely
sure you do not need that program! Another handy item is the option
to remove that program from Revo's list. There are many programs
that most of us will not want to ever touch, so this option allows
you to have on your list only those programs you may want to remove;
it does not uninstall or remove anything from the program, it just
hides it so you don't waste time arrowing through the same stuff
again and again.
Now back to the uninstall option. Press enter to start that, and
you will get a warning screen with yes and no buttons. You can
either use the tab and enter key to move amongst the buttons and
activate the one you want. Or, pressing the y key will activate the
yes button, and the d key activates the no button.

What happens next will depend upon the program you are removing, so
just listen carefully to what JAWS is telling you. The JAWS key and
b usually does a good job of repeating the important text.

When Revo tells you to select the level of uninstall, tab once to a
vertical list with the three options, low, moderate, and high. High
is the most aggressive in terms of removing registry items. It is
also the mode that seems to make Revo superior to the standard
Windows uninstall process found under the control panel. I always
use the highest uninstall mode, and have never had a problem. So
select the mode with the up and down arrows, then tab once and
activate the OK button.

Note, I am now going from memory for the rest of these instructions,
since I don't actually want to uninstall any programs, so please do
not take me completely literally; I may not exactly remember how
JAWS names the buttons, but the description below will be close enough.

The JAWS access problems seem to come up after Revo has uninstalled
the program, and prompts you on whether you want to search the
registry for leftover items. Unless you realize you did something
wrong, you do want to have Revo continue with this step. After all,
if you don't use this option, you don't need to use Revo.

I believe the first prompt uses a next button to continue, and JAWS
will see this button, so press enter on it. If you are not sure
where you are, use the tab and shift tab, pressing enter to activate.

At this stage I recommend you now go into JAWS review mode, and stay
in review mode until you get to and select the "finish"
button. When in review mode, all the important information is clear
and easily read with the arrow keys. I recommend using control with
left or right arrow, which takes you nicely from word to word. This
also ensures that you are at the proper place to do the left
click. When you want to activate a given command, use the JAWS
keystroke for a left mouse click.

One step will be the option of selecting all items that Revo
recommends be removed from the registry and elsewhere on your
computer. (Revo also lists each such item slated for removal, but
the descriptions are beyond my level of technical knowledge. I have
always pressed the select-all button, and have never had a problem.)

Select the option you want by the left mouse click keystroke. When
clicking on that select-all button, you will not hear any feedback
from JAWS, but take it on faith that you have made that
selection. Move forward to the "delete" button and click on
it. JAWS will warn you that this is going to remove the listed
stuff, and it tells you to press yes or no to proceed. You can
press the y key for yes, n key for no, or you can manually move to
the button you want and click on it.

When Revo has deleted all that stuff, it will often times show a
zero in the number of items left, which makes sense, but Revo
confusingly asks you to select or de-select the listed options. Go
through the same steps above about selecting and hitting the delete
button. You will often fine that in a second pass, Revo has found
more stuff it recommends you delete. I have had as many as three
passes before it catches everything, but most often the second pass
is all you need. When Revo finds nothing more, you will then see a
"finish" button, with a congratulations message that you are
done. When you click on the finish button, Revo will immediately
pop up into the list of programs, ready to start again. If you are
done, just exit with alt-f4.

That is it. It is actually pretty easy once you do the steps a few
times, and that is coming from someone who is at best considered
average in terms of JAWS skills.
This is the end of the basic instructions. If you contact me off
list, I will be glad to help, either via email or on the phone.

Sincerely,
Tim Ford