Re: Braille keyboard question. e

Richard Holloway

No, this wasn't a notetaker. It was a USB keyboard-- just the keyboard interface for a computer, but it was setup like a Braille keyboard only-- no qwerty functions.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Mario Brusco <mrb620@...> wrote:

might you be talking about the braille edge?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Holloway" <rholloway@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Braille keyboard question. e

The problem is more complicated than it may seem at first. There is a
problem (prat least a potential limit) referred to as "n-key rollover". When
you exceed the key limit, which varies from one keyboard to the next,
unpredictable things may happen. The computer may no longer see the first
keys pressed, with only the last particular (keyboard specific number of)
keys recognized. I have read the limit can be as low as three. (You don’t
typically chord keys at the EXACT same time, there are tiny differences in
when the contacts are made.)

The result is that only the last 3 (or 4, etc.) keys down will be seen. And
there is a second problem called “ghosting” (nothing to do with ghosting
braille on a Perkins). On some keyboards, extra “ghosted” keystrokes appear
to the computer depending on the physical position of the keys you actually
push— it has to do with the wiring matrix of the keyboard. These are extra
keys you didn’t actually push.

As to why this is an issue? Partly cost, but also lack of planning for
unusual applications of the hardware. It costs more to design keyboards that
can handle more keys at once, and the need is rare for qwerty typists. You
may see a need like ctrl + alt + delete often, but usually no more than
three keys are needed at once. The common exceptions are Braille
(obviously), musical applications (like playing a musical instrument, for
example, without a conventional MIDI trigger instrument available), and
certain types of computer gaming.

So the short answer is, even if you have software to solve your problem,
your hardware setup may or may not accept the physical input from the
keyboard. This will vary from one keyboard to the next, and so forth.
Try-before-you-buy, if possible.

Read more about limitations here:
http://xahlee.info/comp/keyboard_key_ghosting.html

I did see a braille-style USB keyboard a while back— not like a Focus 40 (or
such) with a built-in display. It was just a straight row of keys to use
like on a braille notetaker but without a display. This setup had no n-key
rollover issue, but I’ll be darned if I can find it now with a web search.
If I run across it, I will post.

Good luck!

On Apr 11, 2014, at 7:50 PM, Sharon <mt281820@...> wrote:

Doesn't Duxbury allow that?
It's been a long long time since I've used it.
Sharon