Re: Icons say checked when navigating through the desktop windows 8.1.

Adrian Spratt

Follow-up on my post last night. I usually test a method before posting, but I was very tired. This morning, I find I can't replicate the directions that worked for me in the past. At least the explanation for why items in WE and the desktop are set up as checkboxes might be helpful. I hope someone else can post directions on how to remove them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:15 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: RE: Icons say checked when navigating through the desktop windows 8.1.

Hi. I realize you're referring to win8.1, but perhaps this is helpful. I set Win7 to have checkboxes next to icons. Below, in case you're interested, I copy an explanation I came across for why this could be useful, then instructions for how to make the change, including how to reverse it.

If you're sick of Ctrl+Clicking a ton of files to select a group, you may want to enable checkboxes in Windows Explorer. It's a slightly lesser-known feature that's been around forever, but it can be very useful. Just head to the View tab and on the right-hand side, check the "Item Checkboxes" box. Now, when you hover over a folder or file, you'll see a little checkbox that you can toggle to select multiple files. It works in any view mode, but seems best suited to the Details mode.

Note. Here are the instructions I wrote to myself.
To get to view menu, first open W E, press alt-v, then right arrow once. You land in general. Control-tab
once  and tab to the 18-item list.