Re: Thunderbird + JAWS 12 help needed

inthane <inthaneelf@...>

you can't avoid the use of scripts, it's scripts that makes jaws work and FS doesn't always make the best ones so we the blind community make better ones.

please I'm not trying to be offensive, but I am rather brusque, and your going to have to get used to adding scripts, both of you are if your going to assist your husband with this.

now then, your husband will be using the PC cursor to read the emails, here are some notes from the last scripts release I have for thunderbird:
"You gave me some ideas about TreeView navigation to get to the Inbox,
which I combined with code to search for and click the Inbox folder. In
an update to the scripts I just posted, there are now hotkeys that seem to
work for going to the Inbox (Control+Shift+I) and Outbox
(Control+Shift+O).
For anyone interested, this update also includes the best web tutorials I could find on Thunderbird, which I combined in a structured HTML page invoked with JAWS key+H (when Thunderbird is active). "

and they can be downloaded from:
http://EmpowermentZone.com/tb_scr.exe

some things to remember:
jaws steels the usual controls for the mouse and pc cursor, and they will often not do what a sighted computer user thinks they should do with jaws running

most functions are preformed with the revitalized PC cursor, not the mouse cursor which is now the "jaws" cursor.

the virtual cursor is a pc cursor with a different set of working rules, and most times will be automatically there when your husband needs it.

the only thing which throws folks off when there first getting used to jaws is that at times a "forms mode" will pop into play when there is an edit field on the screen, such as the search or sign in boxes on a web page, to get out of these boxes one most times you can just down arrow, but sometimes you must tab, or hit the number pad + key to change and/or unstick the cursor.

the numbers pad on a standard keyboard is a centralized jaws command center, many functions are preformed with the numbers pad, which should be unlocked if jaws was allowed to install and set up properly

a hugely used key is the "insert or jaws key" this is, on a desktop keyboard, the 0 on the number pad... not row, the numbers pad on the right side of the keyboard. this key is replaced by the stolen and reprogrammed caps lock key on a laptop keyboard if that is the style of keyboard chosen during setup.

if you get these thunderbird scripts and the help tutorial that is included with them your husband will be far better off than without them!

HTH,
inthaneelf

. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises