Re: music management software

Richard Holloway

Tee Asus may be a fine option. I believe there are issues where you cannot update those routers from a Macintosh, if that would be a concern. I am unaware if they serve to a Macintosh in a stable manor. (That might be worth looking up before you order one.)

Apple has an NAS solution that would be pretty stable for about $300 and it is both a 2TB drive and a wireless router. Might be worth a look. I suspect a Asus RT-AC66U plus a quality, similarly sized drive would put you in the same price range.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/ME177LL/A/airport-time-capsule-2tb?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG-PLA

If that isn’t enough space, go with a 3TB version for $400

My guess is the above would be the most stable solutions for your Macs and iDevices, and are listed to support most PC’s as well.

If you need more space still, check out a Drobo 5N or something similar. They are advertised as Mac-compatible 5-bay drive RAID cabinets which can attach directly to your existing router (assuming you have a spare ethernet connection available). Populate the bays with up to 5 eSATA drives as you see fit. It is very cool and scalable. Not really cheap ($500 range plus drives), but very powerful. I cannot confirm, however, if these support the iDevices which the Apple drives specifically state they support.

http://www.amazon.com/Drobo-Storage-Gigabit-Ethernet-DRDS4A21/dp/B00AMAJGOO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

On Mar 12, 2014, at 9:07 AM, Deddajay <maillists@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, NAS drive tend to be expensive, although they are probably the best option.

Luckily, the router we use, an Asus RT-AC66U, has the facility to turn any connected USB external drive into an effective NAS drive. I think a lot of the newer routers have the option to connect a drive by USB these days, which is a welcome addition so that files can be shared on the home network.

On 12/03/2014 05:26, Richard Holloway wrote:
It may be helpful to search for "NAS" or Network Attached Storage drives if you want to attach a drive to your router.

These are basically file servers without a traditional computer attached. The caveat would be to make certain the NAS drive is Mac friendly, including with your particular Mac OS. Some don't like Macs at all...

Similar options would involve sharing a drive across your network from one of your computers. The downside there is you load up the computer with file sharing chores, and if the serving machine gets shut down or removed from the network for some reason? All you machines loose access.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Deddajay <maillists@...> wrote:

We have a set up as you describe. All we do is have a hard drive partitioned in two, one partition for music and the other for radio shows.

Music is stored in folders by artist name, with album folders in that. Easily navigated by any system. The hard drive is connected directly to the router, in our case by USB, but you could possibly get an ethernet adaptor if that isn't possible. Anyone on our home network can access the files as they are seen as part of the network. To make it easier, particularly on Windows, you can map the drive so that it has a permanent drive letter.

This method doesn't need a music manager as anyone can use whatever they like to play the files.

If it's not possible to connect directly to your router you could connect the hard drive to an always on computer with the same result, as long as everyone can navigate the same home network.

There are other methods, and I'm sure more experienced networkers will be along soon, but this works well for us using Windows 7 and 8 and Android phones and tablets. I can't comment on how well this arrangement would work with Apple stuff.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards
Deddajay

On 11/03/2014 19:18, Jean M wrote:
Looking for an accessible music management solution. We want to store music on a single hard drive available to all on our home network. Files need to be accessible to both Apple and Windows products. I don't care what each person runs on their own PC or smart phone, but we all need to access the main storage, importing what each person wants and also each being able to import to the main storage center. Hope that makes sense.

I think iTunes is too proprietary, and I find Media Player quite cumbersome. Any ideas?

Jean