Re: which windows?

Richard Holloway

Tempting as the Mac-only route might be for me, a few apps she needs for school are PC-only, and she is actually fairly JAWS savvy for her age. We started her with a PC and jaws around age 4, I guess it was, and we've been paying to keep JAWS current as well.

My wife has to use PC's for her work and doesn't "do" Macintosh. I have always had to use both but probably split something like 80% or so Macintosh to 20% PC. My daughter probably is the reverse of me at 80/20 PC/Mac. That not including iPad time and iPod time, both of which she uses via VoiceOver and often with a Focus 40 too.

That's another aspect. We haven't had as much luck with the focus 40 connecting to Macs. She has to use an older one-- she can't have my newer MacBook Pro. Maybe a newer Mac would not have the same issues with the Bluetooth Braille.

She has her Apex too, so she is t hurting for technology, but her web access to date has been absolutely most successful with a PC and the Focus 40. I don't want her to loose that.

Sounds like maybe a Windows 7 laptop would be the way to go, though there are fewer and fewer of them for sale that haven't switched over to 8/8.1.

Lots of helpful info. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:09 PM, Doris and Chris <chipmunks@...> wrote:

why not have her use a mac if that is what she is used to? she can use a copy of xp or newer in a virtual machine inside the mac but a mac offers her the same programs for office and web browsing as windows does.

hth

Doris

At 06:06 AM 2014/03/05 -0800, you wrote:
I would suggest Windows 8.1. If you purchase Windows 8, the update to Windows 8.1 is free. Before making a purchase, I would suggest you look at the Jaws minimum system requirements and get something better than that to avoid any lag and slow issue problems although Windows 7 is a great operating system, time is moving and we need to keep up to date. I currently own Windows 7 and windows eight on the same computer and Windows 8.1 is definitely faster. I like it. Many do not like Windows 8.1 because there is no start menu other than that many do not like change. Regards, Feliciano Sent from the Super-iPhone > On Mar 5, 2014, at 5:57 AM, Richard Holloway <rholloway@...> wrote: > > We’re looking for a new laptop for our 5th grader to use with her current copy of JAWS. Her desktop PC running Vista seems to be too worn out to justify any further repair, and she needs to be more mobile anyhow. We do own the current release of JAWS, so that isn’t an issue. > > My initial thought was to get the most current OS possible, but a friend raised questions about making the transition from Vista all the way to OS 8 or 8.1. He said 8 is a major change, though he suggested that 8.1 is much better than 8— something about Winddows 8’s design being more tablet friendly but having PC issues, and Windows 8.1 resolving some of these issues, (in case we don’t stay with Windows 7). As we are used to Vista, I suspect there will be some adjustment needed for her anyhow. Also, Windows 7 machines seem to be evaporating here lately— fewer and fewer choices are still ffor sale. > > I’m a typically sighted Macintosh user, so I don’t use PC’s very often. My perspective is also that of a sighted user so I’m more focused on visual changes that won’t effect my daughter, plus I don’t use Braille or a screen reader enough to have any real expertise, and I think like a Mac user. > > I’m really quite good with Macs (I’ve been using them for 25+ years) but I fumble through using all kinds of Windows, so I’d really like to hear what JAWS users think about the ease of use between Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. > > If you have a particular laptop setup to suggest, that’s fine to. My daughter has no light perception at all, so the monitor means very little to her. That’s just a convenience for her friends or family to share things with her or perhaps assist her as needed (and she doesn’t need much assistance, she’s a very bright young lady). Her concerns are more about quality sound, good network connectivity and reliable bluetooth, especially to connect her Focus 40 BT. > > I suspect most lower-end laptops would be fine for her. She mostly needs a web browser and word processing. I just want the navigation through JAWS to be a good experience for her and I just don’t know if there is a reason to avoid Windows 8 / 8.1 or not. > > Thanks! > _______________________________________________ > Jfw mailing list > Jfw@... > http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com _______________________________________________ Jfw mailing list Jfw@... http://lists.the-jdh.com/mailman/listinfo/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com