Re: Focus 40 Blue for JAWS

Steve Matzura

You have to be careful here because some educators feel that if you're
in their school, their class, there should be no accommodations. You
came to the game knowing full well what the rules are, you either play
by those rules, or find another game. I ran into this philosophy, such
that it is, in my second year of college in a class where being able
to quickly inhale great gallons of information was essential. It was
an English class where we were assigned a book a week. Back in the
70's, just *getting* the book in accessible format was hard enough,
and getting a reader to read a two-, three-hundred-page book in a
night or two was virtually impossible, so I had to switch courses to
one that didn't have as much required reading. Physical nuisance?
Explain that one somebody please. Major problem there. Blindness slows
us down and breaks the all-important feedback loop between action and
observed reaction, and those are our two biggest problems--speed of
information intake, and ability to observe without becoming part of,
and affecting, the thing we are attempting to observe (by having to be
in physical contact with it rather than observing it from afar).

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 02:16:23 -0400, you wrote:

It does, thanks. It is nice to hear that has worked for others. We request just what you suggest this fall when school resumes...

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 17, 2013, at 7:45 PM, "Drew Hunthausen" <dhunthausen@...> wrote:

Richard,
In my experience, it all depends on the teacher/ professor. In most cases
the teachers try to be as helpful and accommodating as possible considering
they probably have no prior experience working with someone who is blind.
For me, I always asked my teachers if they could write me a paragraph by
e-mail summarizing in basic terms what the comments were in my paper and any
suggestions to improve. This worked very well and made it easier for both of
us. It often takes a little time for the teacher to get in the habbit of
doing this as it's brand new. Hope this helps