From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: Transferring Alt Control J shortcut fromJaws 11toJaws12

Not necessarily. Assuming JAWS 11 is the latest version installed on your computer, it was automatically assigned the hot key Alt-Control-J when it was originally installed. Unless you delete this "hidden" hot key, it will always launch JAWS 11, even if you create the user-defined hot key Alt-Control-J for JAWS 10. As a rule, hot keys automatically assigned by an application take precedence over hot keys defined by the user. You can use Hot Key Detective to determine whether a particular hot key is application assigned or user assigned. When I installed the demo version of JAWS 10, Alt-Control-J, which had been created automatically when I originally installed JAWS 9, was automatically reassigned to JAWS 10. In order to reassign Alt-Control-J back to JAWS 9, my default version of JAWS, I had to use Hot Key Detective to delete Alt-Control-J from JAWS 10 and then use the Properties dialog of JAWS 9 to re-create it as a user-assigned hot key.

Gerald