Re: The Future of JAWS

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

I agree very much. May jaws grow and just get better.

On 15/01/2014, Robin Frost <robinni71@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Gentle people if I might enter my 2 cents into the fray for whatever it is
or isn't worth. Firstly it has only been less than 48 hours since this
announcement has come to light not exactly eons in the world of corporate
communications. Freedom Scientific is under no obligation to make any public

comments on the matter one way or another nor are any of the other screen
reader producers. It is my humble opinion that this might not be the
cataclysmic polar shift causing event some categorize it as being. While it

is an interesting marketing strategy and could be a viable alternative for
some I suspect that screen reader producers and venders will continue to
happily hum along selling fully licensed versions of their products because

people will still in some circumstances need to or desire to have fully
functioning versions with no restrictions and unlimited tech support. It
should be noted that the version of Window Eyes bundled with Office does not

allow for the use of Eloquence a synthesizer which has a cult like following

in some circles nor is it coming with the vocalizer voices. Further it does

not entitle its users to free and unlimited tech support incidents which are

being reserved for those who still choose to purchase fully functional
licenses directly from its manufacturer. whether someone is newly blind or

has been so for many years depending on their comfort level the security of

being able to get unlimited tech support when needed might still result in
they themselves or the agencies which serve them to remain oriented to
continuing to make purchases from screen reader manufacturers.
I do not claim to possess a crystal ball through which one can view the
future and while I think it an interesting bit of news I'm not entirely
convinced it's the game changing event some have characterized it as being.

I suppose only the passage of time and the playing out of events will
ultimately reveal more light on that which has transpired and how it may or

may not impact the over all market.
I for one say the more tools one has at their disposal to increase
productivity the better. Happy screen reader usage to one and all no matter

your product or products of choice.
Robin