Re: The Future of JAWS

Soronel Haetir

Well, since I've tried the 60-day WindowEyes trial twice over the last
few years (once with WE 7.5 and then again with WE 8) and found it
very lacking both times I don't see myself switching without vast
improvement on WindowEyes' part. Maybe working with MS will give
GWMicro enough capital that they can make those improvements, maybe
not.

I am a little surprised actually that MS would go to GW rather than
putting whatever money (I am assuming that in order for this to make
business sense on GW's part that MS forked over a bundle of cash) is
involved here toward NVDA. Even though I didn't care for the folks
developing NVDA my experience is that NVDA is already a better product
than WE.

On 1/15/14, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

As many of you may have learned from other lists, Freedom Scientific's main
rival in the commercial screen reader market has announced that it will
offer its screen reader absolutely free and unrestricted to users with
licensed versions of Windows Office 2010 and higher. How will this
development affect us JAWS users? Will hordes of JAWS users flock to the
competition and force JAWS into oblivion? Will FS be forced to make a
counter move and offer JAWS for free on a similar basis to remain viabole?
In short, what is the future of JAWS in light of this stunning announcement,
and do we loyal JAWS users have any cause for concern?
Any thoughts ?

Gerald