Re: Jaws and the Kindle for PC

Sharon

What is self-voicing?Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:28 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Jaws and the Kindle for PC

Jaws itself does not work with the kindle for PC program, at least not
for book content (jaws will read the menus and such but I suspect
that's not what you are asking about).

Instead you install a special accessible version of the kindle
software (available at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000632481),

When started that software then detects that you have a screen reader
running (I know jaws and nvda are detected, not sure about WE or
system access), and tyou can then access the book content via
self-voicing. Honestly it would be very nice if the kindle software
would work like a normal program (the available voices are pretty
poor) but I also understand why amazon doesn't do that. Any interface
that could be used to gain accessibility information could also be
used for less legitimate purposes.

On 1/11/14, Fred Quick <quicktech77@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm having trouble working the Kindle reader on my tablet. Does Jaws work
with this program?
I'm running Windows 8.1. I can find the list of books but when I open a
book, I can't get Jaws to read it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com