From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:19 PM
Subject: RE: JAWS 15 and Virtual Ribbons

To elaborate on one of your points, Kevin, the shortcuts familiar to
long-time users of Word, such as Jean, still work in MS applications that
have migrated to the ribbon.

I rarely need to use the ribbon. Often when I do, there is a quick way of
getting where I need by pressing letters (usually first letters) assigned to
various functions. When that fails, it is much simpler than I'd expected to
move around the ribbon with the tab and arrow keys. Really, the ribbon is
just a much more elaborate version of the file menus we all came to
appreciate.

As Dave Carlson says in another post, FS's virtual ribbon does not permit
first-letter navigation, although another lister has posted that the old
shortcuts (control-f for font, control-p for printer, etc.) still work
there. For me, the main objection to the virtual ribbon, although I commend
FS for attempting to improve the accessibility of MS's ribbon that many of
us thought would be daunting, is that it bears little or no resemblance to
how the rest of the world manages MS Office applications. Sighted colleagues
and friends have solved many of my ribbon problems, which they could do only
because I am using the same system. In addition, when working side by side
with sighted computer users, it is essential that we be sharing the same
screen. Ironically, early versions of JAWS made this sharing difficult, and
one of FS's accomplishments over the years has been to make what we
experience practically the same as what sighted people see on the screen.

For all these reasons, I would discourage use of the virtual ribbon.