Re: Laptop purchasing advice

Feliciano G

It should work. You could also change the layout of the keyboard if you go to basics menu by getting to the jaws window.

Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Dec 15, 2013, at 2:55 AM, "Petro T. Giannakopoulos" <petrogia@...> wrote:

Just wanted to know about this. If a user buys a USB Numeric Keypad would it work for the user? This would eliminate having to assign keys on the laptop with no insert key? I have seen seen some USB Numeric keypads with extra keys which a user could assign say the application key if needed. Also in JAWS setup wizzard he can change the layout from laptop to desktop if a USB Numeric Keypad is used.

----- Original Message -----
From: Amir
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: Laptop purchasing advice

Hi,
i'm using lenovo here but unfortunately i dont have insert key, yes,
you're right, insert key. need to press fn+page down, for insert, and
fn+page up for scroll lock and something like that! So it's very
difficult for me, using lenovo g485. so be careful when choosing! just
sharing my experience.

On 15/12/2013 0:20, Peter Tighe wrote:
Allison,

I think you are getting some very good advice on this thread!

I would add the following ideas.
1. I lean toward Lenovo

2. 8 gigs of ram would be best but checking on Amazon quickly, I don't
find too many laptops with that much ram.

6 gigs might be acceptable, but 4 gigs of ram is definitely not enough.

3.

Processor speed and type, I think is very important.
I think you should get an I5 rather than an I3.
4.

Mor important, I think the processor speed should be no less than 2.5 GHZ

It seems to me that each new version of Jaws, Kurzweil, Openbook and
Microsoft office is more resource intensive.
That's why you need a good fast processor speed. While you ar making
a new investment, you may as well get enough horse power to pull the
heavy load!

Peter