Re: Audio Description

Richard Holloway

My daughter loves Audio Description and it is becoming much more available, though that fact is not well publicized.

Our whole family now goes to the movies quite often and my blind daughter feels very much included with this service. Particularly many Regal theaters show nearly every film with DVS available-- you just request a headset. (Always check first because a few of their films still don't offer the service.) Do remind them that you need the setup for the BLIND (Your white cane may not be a big enough clue.) Quite often they first give us a headset which makes the program LOUDER for the hearing impaired. The only difference is a simple setting change.

Much More TV is running with DVS available these days as well, especially on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, USA, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, TNT and TBS. We found a bunch of Described Christmas shows to share with my daughter this season, including the Original Grinch Cartoon, plus The old "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", all from the late 60's / early 70's, as well as some newer pieces like "Frosty Returns", and "Yes, Virginia". Note that CBS ran most of these (The Grinch was on TBS) and even their publicized list of DVS titles didn't show these Christmas shows. It is VERY likely they will run these again next year with DVS on CBS, so check, even if they don't post them as audio described!

There are upcoming shows with DVS including the Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard from "Star Trek") version of "A Christmas Carol" on TNT, and the 24-hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day on TBS will also run described. Various popular series ranging from NCIS to The Simpsons also run described in many TV markets, and the list will be growing each year.

If you like DVD's, there are lots of described titles too. Over 300 have been released in the last 10 years and currently they seem to release around 70 or 80 new titles each year.

For more info on audio description, here is a great site:
http://www.acb.org/adp/

For more info on DVS in theaters and Movie Schedules, try Caption Fish. Unfortunately, Captionfish has a filter you need to use which may mot be entirely accessible. The site's key focus is open and closed captioning. I just checked and found 93 screens running with audio description available (every showtime) within 30 miles of my house, if that gives you some idea of how much more DVS there is available lately.

Here is the Captionfish address:
http://www.captionfish.com/

Regal also has a listing of available titles with DVS here:
http://www.regmovies.com/Theatres/Captioning-and-Descriptive-Video

Sorry for the off-JAWS-topic response, but hopefully some not aware of some DVS options will benefit.

If you want to discuss further I'm happy to help off-list. No guarantees I'll have an answer, but if I do, I'm glad to share.

Happy Holidays!

Richard

On Dec 14, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Michael Boyd wrote:

Hi Dave,

That's really strange. I just got a reply from my local movie theater confirming to me that they have audio discription available in their theater. So, now I am going to start seeing a new realese now and again.

I am not sure about the audio description in the Ease of Access Center, but it sound like that might be just what it is. I have never noticed it there before. Although it is becoming more prevalent these days, audio description, like closed captioning, is not available on all movies, but movies that do not have it are becoming more a thing of the past. I am going to try it out on my computer though. I have lots of movies, and surely some of them have audio description available on them. Thanks for pointing this find out.

Mike