Re: Laptop purchasing advice

Feliciano G

I am very happy with Dell laptops. I currently own a delve Austro 3560. It is Windows 7 64-bit and has the thumb them identification. The laptop feels solid keys are great and everything else. You can always upgrade RAM so that is not really something to worry about. These modern laptops are solidly built as far as hardware now a days A important thing to look at is whether you want a number pad or not. My laptop does not have a number pad and I love it. If you have any questions. You can email me off the list.

Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Dec 13, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Deddajay <deddajay@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Having just set up laptops for 2 friends, we went to a business supplier rather than somewhere selling consumer laptops.

This had the advantage of being able to get rock solid laptop without all the consumer crap usually installed by the manufacturer. In our case we went for Dell business machines which originally came with Windows 8, but because they have a licence to revert to Windows 7, it was easy to migrate over to this. In fact the supplier did this for us.

We were then left with a plain, vanilla version of Windows 7 Home so that we could install the software of our choice without having to go through the hassle of uninstalling all the trial software that usually comes with a consumer machine. As it is getting increasingly difficult to buy a new machine with Windows 7 on it these day, a business supplier may be your answer. The main thing to consider is as much ram as you can afford, a minimum of 4gig, preferably 6 or 8. Processor speed is not that important unless you want a lot of intensive applications running at the same time.

The Dell Inspiron laptops are solidly built, with good, well spaced keyboards with number pads and accessible usb ports. The only downside is that there is no application key, but shift F10 will do the same thing.

Hope this might help.

Cheers
Deddajay

On 13/12/2013 06:08, Allison Nastoff wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have been using JAWS with windows XP for 5 years and have had very
few issues. But since support for windows xp is ending soon and I am
going back to school, I am looking to buy a Windows 7 laptop. But all
of the resources I have read on freedomscientific.com and other sites
are kind of vague about the system requirements needed for JAWS,
especially with regard to processor speed. I am not a tech expert, so
all of the jargon overwhelms me. Five years ago, I worked with DVR who
purchased my laptop through a vendor, but this time since I have some
money from a temp job, I thought it would be fun to pick out my own
laptop. Little did I know how overwhelming this would be. So I am
wondering if anyone who uses a windows 7 laptop and is happy with it
could give me specific recommendations on exactly which brands (Dell,
Lenovo HP etc) you have found to be the most blind-friendly in your
opinion, and exactly what specifications you have found to work best.
Thank you so much in advance for any input you can offer.
Allison Nastoff