From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Lee Maschmeyer
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:52 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: braille history

It certainly is not a bug! It comes in rather handy for those of us who run
with speech turned off. In very old versions of Jaws and some other devices
it used to be called Speech Box Mode.

Phil's description is accurate through Jaws 14 and I don't see what the
question is. Exactly how it works in 15 I don't know, not having installed
it yet.

In and before Jaws 14 there are four braille modes: Structured, in which you

can read an attempted summary of the currently focused item. A feature some
people may not know about is that if you use the Braille Prior or Next Line
keys you'll get out of the Structured Line and then the display works like
Line Mode. This was added several versions ago and is really handy. The PAC
Mate display and possibly some Focuses disable this for reasons which are
virtually incomprehensible to me. You can fix it in Keyboard Manager.

The other three modes are Line mode, Attributes mode (next to useless but
nice to have) and Speech History which lets you read most speech information

without having to try to hear and understand it.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you

had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll