Re: [Bulk] ITunes again

Steve <k8sp@...>

I'm probably late on this, but hopefully you haven't deleted your iTunes library yet. There is a longer way to restore an earlier version of iTunes, but it involves a bit more work. I posted this to another list and it is long, so here it is.

I won't make any guarantees, but I've included a step-by-step guide for
reverting to an earlier version of iTunes. This guide is for going back
from 10 to 9, but everything should be applicable for going from 10.4 back
to 10.2.2. . But, you should save your iTunes library and apps which are
backed up under your My documents\my music folder in Xp, under Documents
music in Vista, and under My Music in Windows 7. The folder will have your
music, and the apps you have purchased.

Several users who are dissatisfied with the new iTunes interface or other
enhancements, or are experiencing problems with third-party add-ons or other
issues may seek to downgrade to iTunes 9.2.1. Here's the procedure:

Mac: If you have a Time Machine backup, simply use it to restore your iTunes
9.2.1. Otherwise, follow these instructions:

First, delete the following files

.The iTunes application in /Applications
.com.apple.iTunes.plist, which is located in ~/Library/Preferences (this is
the library folder inside your user folder)
.iTunes.pkg, which is located in /Library/Receipts (this is the library
folder at the root level of your startup drive)
.iTunesX.pkg, which is located in /Library/Receipts
Next, download iTunes 9.2.1 for Mac OS X and run the installer.

You may then need to recreate your iTunes library.

Windows

1.Go to C:\My Documents\My Music. Backup the entire "iTunes" folder to a
safe location.
2.Using the Control Panel to uninstall the following: Apple Application
Support, iPhone Configuration, iTunes 10, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple
Software Update and QuickTime.
3.Reboot your computer
5.Rename the file iTunes Library.itl to something like iTunes
Library.itl.backup.
6.In the same folder, open "Previous iTunes Libraries" and find the most
recent library backup, which should be named something like "iTunes Library
2010-09-1.itl" Copy this file, then paste it in C:My Documents\My
Music\iTunes and rename it iTunes Library.itl
7.Download either iTunes 9.2.1 for 32-bit or iTunes 9.2.1 for 64-bit
(depending on your system configuration) and install the software.
8.You may then need to recreate your iTunes library.
http://appletoolbox.com/2010/09/how-to-downgrade-itunes-10-to-itunes-9-2-1/
Re-creating the iTunes Library file

Note: After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes
(Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, iPad) will see your iTunes library as a new library
and will completely resync. The next sync with such a device will take
longer and may reset some options since your rebuilt library isn't familiar
to the device.

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your iTunes folder (this is the folder that contains the iTunes
Library and iTunes Library.xml files).

Operating System Default location of iTunes Folder
Mac OS X /Users/[your username]/Music
Microsoft Windows XP \Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My
Music\
Microsoft Windows Vista \Users\[your username]\Music\
Microsoft Windows 7 \Users\[your username]\My Music\

3. Open your iTunes folder.

4. Drag the "iTunes Library.xml" file to the Desktop. If the "iTunes
Library.xml" file is not available, learn how to add files back to the
Library (because the "iTunes Library.xml" file is not available, playlists
and other information will not be available).

5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

Mac OS X "iTunes Library"
Microsoft Windows "iTunes Library.itl"

6. Open iTunes.

Important: Do not add any content into iTunes at this point (such as by
purchasing something from the iTunes Store).

7. Choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

8. Navigate to the "iTunes Library.xml" file on the Desktop.

Mac users: Click Choose.
Windows users: Click Open.
If your Podcasts list in iTunes is empty after following these steps, learn
how to add them back into iTunes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve