Re: Need Settings for optimizing Jaws in Windows 7

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

The Windows7 interface

The Windows7 interface is brand new to those who are accustomed to Windows
XP but, in my opinion, it's so much easier to access and follow. If you
don't mind bearing with me, I can give you a look/feel and a overview of
how the start menu
works.

The menu consists of several elements.

. Instant Search Edit Field

. A List of frequently accessed locations

. A toolbar

. List of applications

. An "All Programs" button

Instant Search

When you first open the Start menu, focus is placed in the Instant Search
field. You can type text into this field to quickly locate a program,
document, email, website in your history and more. If you want to open
WordPad for example, type, "wordpad" without the quotes and focus is
immediately placed on WordPad. You can press ENTER to launch the
application.

Focus within the Instant search field is unique. It always has focus. Even
if you use the UP AND DOWN ARROW to navigate among the search results, press
BACKSPACE and you remove the last letter you typed. Press any letter and
it's added to your search term. You can use the UP AND DOWN ARROW at any
time to review the search results.

Clear the results and return to an empty Instant Search field at any time
with ESCAPE.

Take some time to experiment with this first feature and I think you'll find
it's much more intuitive than slogging through menus.

Pinning Items to the Start Menu

If you find an application you use a lot, you can pin it to the start menu.
After locating it with instant search, press the WINODWS APPLICATION KEY
and locate the option to "pin to start menu." Activate the option and the
application is appended to the top of the Start Menu. When you open the
start menu, just press UP AND DOWN ARROW to navigate among the items. Press
ENTER on a pinned item to launch the item.

You can unpin items in the same manner. Focus on a pinned item and open the
Windows Application menu. Activate "unpin from Start Menu" to remove the
item from the Start Menu. The item is removed but you can always find it
using Instant Search.

You can pin documents, email, applications, web sites and more to your start
menu. It's a pretty powerful feature of Windows 7.

Frequently Accessed Locations

Use TAB once from within the Instant Search Field to locate a list of
frequently used locations. Use UP AND DOWN ARROW to navigate among the
options. Press ENTER to launch the associated item.

Toolbar

Press RIGHT ARROW once from within the Instant Search and the shut down
option is located. Press ENTER to shut down your computer. For additional
options, press RIGHT ARROW once more. This opens a list of options that
includes lock, log off, restart and more. Press ENTER on any of these items
to activate them.

All Programs

The All Programs button is just above the Instant Search. Press UP ARROW to
focus on it immediately. Press ENTER on the option to display a list of all
the applications on your computer. Much like the original XP menu.

Press ENTER to expand a folder and review its contents and ENTER to launch
an item.

Close the list and return the instant search field at any time with ESCAPE.

Jump Lists

Windows 7 features a new feature called Jump Lists. If you have multiple
documents open in an application, you can locate these documents in the
start menu.

For example, I have word pinned to my Start Menu. If I have five documents
open in word, I can focus on Word in my Start Menu and tap the RIGHT ARROW
KEY to display a list of open documents. UP AND DOWN ARROW navigates among
the documents. I press ENTER on my choice and focus moves to the document
immediately. I like this much better than using ALT-TAB to move among all
my documents and open applications.

The Windows Taskbar also has jump lists and additional features that I find
irreplaceable and a wonderful improvement to the operating system.