Re: using digital editions

Mario

nope, NVDA doesn't read the content, DRM ebook or not, pressing tab, NVDA does speak the various buttons and the one checkbox, but when I get to the content area, NVDA clams up.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: using digital editions

Mario,
I hope you have solved your eBook problem by now. I saw your message a few days ago, but at that time I didn't have either Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 or a DRM-protected eBook in PDF format to try. Now, I have both, and the eBook is being read without any problem on my Windows 7 computer using JAWS 14, latest build. I downloaded the eBook titled "Eternity Road" by Jack McDevitt from the Overdrive Service.

I had read A PDF version of an eBook previously with Adobe Digital Editions 1.8 Preview, but it wasn't protected. I downloaded that eBook titled "Cosmos Culture" from the NASA web site.

I thought that the DRM protection might cause a problem, since I have had difficulties playing a protected movie and a protected WMA audio book with Windows Media Player in Windows 7. I think the Mirror Driver used by JAWS in Windows 7 and DRM protection conflict, at least with Windows Media Player. The NVDA screen reader doesn't use a Mirror Driver, and both the movie and WMA format audio book play using Windows Media Player when using NVDA. Since you are using XP Pro, a Mirror Driver can't be the cause of the difficulty, even with Adobe Digital Editions. I would still recommend, however, that you install the NVDA screen reader to see if it works any better than JAWS. At least, maybe it won't freeze while reading your eBook.

Gary King
w4wkz@...