Homonyms Dictionary

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

All:
I've been beta testing a soft phone for over a year, and during that time, I've had my Dragon Naturally Speaking system disconnected. I installed yesterday, and an old problem came to light again.
Naturally Speaking isn't all that good about recognizing context. So, it can, and does, confuse h-e-a-r and h-e-r-e; t-h-e-r-e and t-h-e-i-r; and m-a-l-e and m-a-i-l.
The problem is that these, and loads of other homonyms, sound exactly the same to me. I have a pretty good secretary, but she doesn't catch them all.
I have a list of about 120 homonyms, and for Window-Eyes, I created a special dictionary in which these homonyms are actually spelled. I could simply "load" this custom dictionary when proof-reading. To use it all the time would drive one insane.
I'm not exactly sure how to do this in JAWS. In fact, I think I raised this question about a year ago, and I don't remember any particularly satisfying answer. So, I'm trying again.
If my guess is correct, and the pronunciation dictionary is a mere text file, then presumably I could use my old dictionary file from Window-Eyes. I'm thinking, however, that I would have to copy, physically, two entire configuration files over top of one another because JAWS doesn't distinguish between dictionaries for a particular configuration.
I suppose that one could copy configuration files with some sort of a script, but that solution seems rather messy.
I could also possibly create a new voice profile, perhaps called "DragonProof," to which I could switch when proof-reading dictated text; however, I'm not sure whether each voice profile uses a separate pronunciation dictionary. In fact, I don't think they do. For instance, I defined a client's name,
Toughey, to be pronounced Tooey, which is the correct pronunciation.
I just switched to the Solo Real Speak profile, and the name was pronounced correctly. So, I conclude that the speech profiles are using the same dictionaries.
Another possibility might be simply to have JAWS pronounce all homonyms using British English. I would run that configuration, the default, all the time. It would be annoying, but at least I would be alerted to double-check the spelling when the British voice pops up. That's also not very elegant. Thinking about it suggests that JAWS uses a far more complex pronunciation dictionary than a mere text file -- as does Window-Eyes. In Window-Eyes, one cannot change the pronunciation of characters, switch to a different language, distinguish between upper and lower case, or associate sounds with particular words.
So, I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to unload JAWS and load Window-Eyes just to proof a document.

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@...

#############################################################################################################
ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED OR REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/20110819/322a1b11/attachment.html>

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.