Homonyms Dictionary

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

All:
I've been beta testing a soft phone for over a year, and during that time, I've had my Dragon Naturally Speaking system disconnected. I installed yesterday, and an old problem came to light again.
Naturally Speaking isn't all that good about recognizing context. So, it can, and does, confuse h-e-a-r and h-e-r-e; t-h-e-r-e and t-h-e-i-r; and m-a-l-e and m-a-i-l.
The problem is that these, and loads of other homonyms, sound exactly the same to me. I have a pretty good secretary, but she doesn't catch them all.
I have a list of about 120 homonyms, and for Window-Eyes, I created a special dictionary in which these homonyms are actually spelled. I could simply "load" this custom dictionary when proof-reading. To use it all the time would drive one insane.
I'm not exactly sure how to do this in JAWS. In fact, I think I raised this question about a year ago, and I don't remember any particularly satisfying answer. So, I'm trying again.
If my guess is correct, and the pronunciation dictionary is a mere text file, then presumably I could use my old dictionary file from Window-Eyes. I'm thinking, however, that I would have to copy, physically, two entire configuration files over top of one another because JAWS doesn't distinguish between dictionaries for a particular configuration.
I suppose that one could copy configuration files with some sort of a script, but that solution seems rather messy.
I could also possibly create a new voice profile, perhaps called "DragonProof," to which I could switch when proof-reading dictated text; however, I'm not sure whether each voice profile uses a separate pronunciation dictionary. In fact, I don't think they do. For instance, I defined a client's name,
Toughey, to be pronounced Tooey, which is the correct pronunciation.
I just switched to the Solo Real Speak profile, and the name was pronounced correctly. So, I conclude that the speech profiles are using the same dictionaries.
Another possibility might be simply to have JAWS pronounce all homonyms using British English. I would run that configuration, the default, all the time. It would be annoying, but at least I would be alerted to double-check the spelling when the British voice pops up. That's also not very elegant. Thinking about it suggests that JAWS uses a far more complex pronunciation dictionary than a mere text file -- as does Window-Eyes. In Window-Eyes, one cannot change the pronunciation of characters, switch to a different language, distinguish between upper and lower case, or associate sounds with particular words.
So, I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to unload JAWS and load Window-Eyes just to proof a document.

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@...

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.