Re: Views split button

Jack Vanlightly

Hi Robert,

If you press Spacebar on this split button then itsilently cycles to the next view type. However if you press Down Arrow then it opens the slider. For any screenreader I believe the best choice is the Details Mode as this presents all items in a single one dimensional list but also adds columns for extra information. The percentage for Details Mode is 25%, use the Up and Down Arrow keys to increase and decrease the percentage. Note that depending on where you are in the navigation pane, the tree view, the scope of the change might be limited. For example if you have Computer selected in the Navigation Pane the View Mode setting you make doesn't propagate further than this view of your file system. Likewise any change you make in a particular Windows library only affects that library. So if you wanted Details Mode everywhere you would need to set it in multiple places.
You really want to avoid two dimensional grids of icons or a list that repeat horizontally as you'll soon get pretty lost and find it hard to find files and folders. The Details Mode is really the best. Use the Left and Right Arrow keys to explore the extra informational columns for each file to discover things like file type, date modified, size etc.

Cheers
Jack

On 6/5/2013 1:08 AM, Robert Logue wrote:
Views split button I accidentally got into a control I didn't understand in Windows 7 explorer. I believe it is the "views button.I changed the value and now am not sure how this effects Jaws or how my system performs. I looked it up in help but the information isn't helpful. It says we can press the left side of the button but Jaws can only open the right side with right arrow. Left arrow or space bar doesn't do a thing.. I know that I can make the same changes to the view from the menu so am not concerned about clicking the left side of the button.
From Windows 7 help:
Viewing and arranging files and folders When you open a folder or library, you can change how the files look in the window. For example, you might prefer larger (or smaller) icons or a view that lets you see different kinds of information about each file. To make these kinds of changes, use the Views button in the toolbar. Each time you click the left side of the Views button, it changes the way your files and folders are displayed by cycling through five different views: Large Icons, List, a view called Details that shows several columns of information about the file, a smaller icon view called Tiles, and a view called Content that shows some of the content from within the file.

The following is the part I accidentally changed. What is the best size or percent for Jaws and what works best for low vision? Also, what is the default level?

If you click the arrow on the right side of the Views button, you have more choices. Move the slider up or down to fine-tune the size of the file and folder icons. You can see the icons change size as you move the slider.