From: "Mary Miller" <muggle6265@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Headers and Footers in a word document

Thank you all! This has been very helpful.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Lisa Larges <llarges@tamfs.org> wrote:

Hi Mary,
As far as I know, you are correct.
There may be an option under schemes that will read headers and footers,
but
if there is, I didn't find it.
I just now opened up a document with a header on each page, and page
numbers
in the footer. I could read the header with the JAWS cursor, but not with
the regular pc cursor. Even with the JAWS cursor, JAWS didn't read the page
number in the footer; if I didn't know there was a header and footer in a
document I wouldn't think to look for it. Indeed, probably there have been
many documents I've read through without realizing there was a header.

When creating documents, JAWS works well in speaking the header and footer
fields, but that isn't the case when reading them. As I say, there might be
a way to create a scheme which would include saying headers and footers; if
there is, I'm sure someone on this list will confirm, but a JAWS user would
have to have their settings configured to do this, and it certainly isn't
the default.
If your goal is accessibility, then I would recommend not using headers and
footers, except perhaps for pagination.