From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:38 AM
To: jfw
Subject: Blatant Rant

I went to register JAWS yesterday and made a startling and annoying
discovery. In order to register and license your copy of JAWS using the
Internet License Management facility, you need an authorization number
which, according to Freedom Scientific's FS activation page, in both print
and braille on the sleeve of the installation program CD.
OH yeah? Then the dots must be hidden, and the print is either
white-on-white or black-on-black, because nobody in my house, blind or not,
could find such a thing, and we looked on two different versions that came
in two different packages.

I suspect that what's really going on here is that somewhere, way back when
I first got JAWS with the serial number I'm currently using, which was new
for version 4.0 which was the first one to run on Windows NT and above, the
box it came in definitely did have an authorization number on a stick-on
braille label. Of course, 4.0 is long, long ago, and so is the packaging in
which it came. Since then, I'm sure when updates come out, they are
delivered directly from the company that stamps out and packages the
distribution CD's, so they can't possibly be personalized with your very own
authorization number. If that's correct, where are we supposed to find this
thing?
Inquiring minds wanna know, and answers will be gotten tomorrow morning when
FS technical support opens for business.