Re: Blatant Rant

Angel

Freedom Scientific will give your authorization number to you if you call. I suspect the same can be gotten by e-mail. I know when I had to reformat my computer I asked for mine; and they were most accommodating.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Matzura" <number6@noisynotes.com>
To: "jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:38 AM
Subject: Blatant Rant

I went to register JAWS yesterday and made a startling and annoying
discovery. In order to register and license your copy of JAWS using
the Internet License Management facility, you need an authorization
number which, according to Freedom Scientific's FS activation page, in
both print and braille on the sleeve of the installation program CD.
OH yeah? Then the dots must be hidden, and the print is either
white-on-white or black-on-black, because nobody in my house, blind or
not, could find such a thing, and we looked on two different versions
that came in two different packages.

I suspect that what's really going on here is that somewhere, way back
when I first got JAWS with the serial number I'm currently using,
which was new for version 4.0 which was the first one to run on
Windows NT and above, the box it came in definitely did have an
authorization number on a stick-on braille label. Of course, 4.0 is
long, long ago, and so is the packaging in which it came. Since then,
I'm sure when updates come out, they are delivered directly from the
company that stamps out and packages the distribution CD's, so they
can't possibly be personalized with your very own authorization
number. If that's correct, where are we supposed to find this thing?
Inquiring minds wanna know, and answers will be gotten tomorrow
morning when FS technical support opens for business.