From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com
[mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:01 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Method to the FS Madness

Recently, there was a thread on this list discussing use of control plus
JAWS key (insert) plus g.
It seems that the command performs two functions. This seemed to me like
a blatant inconsistency. Well, there is still an inconsistency, but I
accidentally discovered a method to Freedom Scientific's madness.
Within Internet Explorer, and presumably FireFox as well, so-called
quick keys permit one to jump to various elements, both forward and
backward. Those keys are h for header, b for button, r for radio button,
g for graphic, I for item in a list, t for table, and so on. There are a
bunch of them. Add the shift key to any of the foregoing to jump
backwards.
The JAWS help system says that any of these quick keys can be converted
into a command to display a list of the selected element just by using
control plus JAWS key (insert) with the letter.
So, control plus insert plus t will produce a list of tables.
But wait a minute!
Control plus insert plus b is the command for Braille options. Control
plus insert plus g is the graphics labeler. Aren't there bound to be
inconsistencies?
So, I ran a little test.
To my surprise, when I pressed control plus insert plus b, even within
Internet Explorer, I got Braille options.
Now, some of you doubtless think I'm about as dense as a Mahogany desk,
but it didn't occur to me immediately what the problem was. Initially, I
just thought FS was flakey. Well, that may be true, but not because of
pure inconsistency with these commands. After trying control plus insert
plus b, I tried control plus insert plus g. Guess what? The graphics
labeler started up.
Then the dawn of understanding illuminated my darkened mind. I had
automatic forms mode turned on, and my cursor was sitting in an edit
field.
When I moved out of the edit box and the virtual cursor took over,
control plus insert plus g produced, as expected, a list of graphics.
Control plus insert plus b produced a list of buttons.
So, even within Internet Explorer, the keystrokes can produce completely
different results, depending upon whether or not the virtual cursor is
active. If the virtual cursor is on, insert plus control plus a quick
key will produce a list of the elements related to the quick key. If,
however, forms mode is on, whether triggered automatically or manually
invoked, these keystrokes will produce the results one would expect
outside the Internet.
So, when one drills down far enough, there is, indeed, a method to
Freedom Scientific's madness.
Of course, that this whole thing troubled me so much probably gives you
cause to think I'm mad too, but for those who are curious (or as mad as
I am), this sort of makes sense.

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH
ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
recipient(s) above and may contain information
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.