Method to the FS Madness

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Recently, there was a thread on this list discussing use of control plus JAWS key (insert) plus g.
It seems that the command performs two functions. This seemed to me like a blatant inconsistency. Well, there is still an inconsistency, but I accidentally discovered a method to Freedom Scientific's madness.
Within Internet Explorer, and presumably FireFox as well, so-called quick keys permit one to jump to various elements, both forward and backward. Those keys are h for header, b for button, r for radio button, g for graphic, I for item in a list, t for table, and so on. There are a bunch of them. Add the shift key to any of the foregoing to jump backwards.
The JAWS help system says that any of these quick keys can be converted into a command to display a list of the selected element just by using control plus JAWS key (insert) with the letter.
So, control plus insert plus t will produce a list of tables.
But wait a minute!
Control plus insert plus b is the command for Braille options. Control plus insert plus g is the graphics labeler. Aren't there bound to be inconsistencies?
So, I ran a little test.
To my surprise, when I pressed control plus insert plus b, even within Internet Explorer, I got Braille options.
Now, some of you doubtless think I'm about as dense as a Mahogany desk, but it didn't occur to me immediately what the problem was. Initially, I just thought FS was flakey. Well, that may be true, but not because of pure inconsistency with these commands. After trying control plus insert plus b, I tried control plus insert plus g. Guess what? The graphics labeler started up.
Then the dawn of understanding illuminated my darkened mind. I had automatic forms mode turned on, and my cursor was sitting in an edit field.
When I moved out of the edit box and the virtual cursor took over, control plus insert plus g produced, as expected, a list of graphics. Control plus insert plus b produced a list of buttons.
So, even within Internet Explorer, the keystrokes can produce completely different results, depending upon whether or not the virtual cursor is active. If the virtual cursor is on, insert plus control plus a quick key will produce a list of the elements related to the quick key. If, however, forms mode is on, whether triggered automatically or manually invoked, these keystrokes will produce the results one would expect outside the Internet.
So, when one drills down far enough, there is, indeed, a method to Freedom Scientific's madness.
Of course, that this whole thing troubled me so much probably gives you cause to think I'm mad too, but for those who are curious (or as mad as I am), this sort of makes sense.

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.