JAWS won't verbalize letters with accents and other symbols

Adrian Spratt

Hi. Using JAWS 14 and Windows 7, I find that JAWS won’t read letters with
accents and other symbols. For example, it won’t tell me that the last
character of this word is e acute:

Engagé

On my system, JAWS leaves that last character silent.

When I had JAWS 13 and XP, JAWS would tell me that this symbol is e acute.

I know JAWS doesn’t pronounce most words with symbols properly when reading
by word, line, etc. That’s another issue.

Any ideas how I can get JAWS to speak these characters?