Re: Jaws & Function Keys

Dave Durber

Claudia:

What Brand and model number is your laptop?

If it is an HP laptop, you will need to get someone who can see, to go into the BIOS and change the option, which deals with how the function keys are set up, from Multimedia to Standard Function key behaviour.

If you do not have anyone sighted who can do this for you, take the laptop back to the store and ask them to do it for you.

Once the change has been made, you will be able to use the function keys in the usual way.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:01 AM
Subject: Jaws & Function Keys

Hi,

I have my new laptop set up almost the way I need it to be. The following is what I have so far:
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Jaws 12 (am awaiting my upgrade CDS)
Ms Office 2010
Microsoft Security Essentials

Here is my question, though. This is a laptop, so I have Jaws set to laptop keyboard. I cannot use the Alt f4 combination to close programs. I have to press Alt and then arrow up to close or Exit. I also cannot use Insert plus f12, to tell me the time; Jaws just stays silent.
So, I'm thinking this has to do with my Function keys?
What do I have to do, in order to get them working correctly?
Thanks.

Claudia

Hi,

I have my new laptop set up almost the way I need it to be. The following is what I have so far:
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Jaws 12 (am awaiting my upgrade CDS)
Ms Office 2010
Microsoft Security Essentials

Here is my question, though. This is a laptop, so I have Jaws set to laptop keyboard. I cannot use the Alt f4 combination to close programs. I have to press Alt and then arrow up to close or Exit. I also cannot use Insert plus f12, to tell me the time; Jaws just stays silent.
So, I'm thinking this has to do with my Function keys?
What do I have to do, in order to get them working correctly?
Thanks.

Claudia

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.