Re: Jaws and Word Press

Stephanie Switzer

It's not hard to post a blog per say, but they move things around a
lot. I didn't know until resently that you could access (move, and
activate) the widgets with a keystroke. And there are these things
where you can actavte a link to print ETc on your blog. (I can't
remember where they are) As far as I can tell I can't do anything with
them. There's also no way to block a site or a person who is
repeatedly sending spam comments to a blog (which is kind of annoying,
but not a big deal unless you get multiple ones like I do) They've
also either taken out some of the features of the dashboard. For
instance in order to write a blog you have to click on "my blogs", the
number of blogs you have, and add new. There is a new post feature,
but I haven't figured out exactly what that's all about. I would give
you more detailed info, but I'm not exactly looking at my blog. I also
haven't looked at it since James said something about the new update
to wordpress.org so who knows what they broke now. Also their support
is the worst. YOu don't even have an email address. Just an edit box
with a Char limit, and there's not really not enough room to explain
what you mean. then, when you finally do get an answer it's not "an
individual answer" because you don't have enough room to tell them
about the situation ETC. Also the tags feature which use to be with
the "title" and "edit" box for the body is now down by the "Publish
button", and categories" Their themes which use to contain lovely
little discriptions of each one now have no description Just a
"showcase" for you to preview it. Also I;'m not quite sure why, but I
have two other blogs that belong to me only, and their dashboards look
different from the one on the blog that me and several other people
run. If I find anything else I'll let you know. :) But I'm almost
posative that they changed something (or broke whatever they fixed in
the .org one) Mostly because that always happens. :) Also regarding
what James said about not getting it. He was trying to help another
member of the blog that I run with some other people. That's how he
knows about it. :d

On 12/16/12, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...> wrote:
Hi Stephanie,

It's been a couple of years since I've done anything on Word Press, however,
a friend did use it with Jaws successfully last February. I know things
change quickly in the tech world, so, I'm not doubting what you say.

Can you tell us what issues you are having with Word Press? Is it
impossible to use with Jaws, or, is it just annoying?

Thanks Stephanie. :)

Russell
Sent from my iMac running Mountain Lion!

On 2012-12-15, at 11:04 PM, Stephanie Switzer <emmanrusty@...> wrote:

I have a wordpress.com account, and I'm telling all of you that they
broke things that worked last year, or even a few months ago. I don't
know how, or why but it seems like every time they fix accessability
issues with the .org site they break things on the .com site. (I've
only noticed that thanks to James) :)
Anyway, as someone who has a wordpress.com account I am telling you
that it would be a bad idea to get an account. (I've had mine for
three years. It'll be four in July) Unless, of course you get a .org
account which rfrom what I've been told isn't bad with accessibility.
:d So I know what I'm talking about here. Bad idea, very bad idea.

On 12/11/12, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...> wrote:
Hi Jean,

A couple of years ago, when I was at Leader Dogs training with a guide
dog
(I won't say how the dog worked out, LOL) I used Word Press.com to keep
blog of my guide dog training. I posted to it daily with only minor
issues... once in a while, when I was in an edit field, Jaws would lose
focus and I'd have no way to tell where in the text I was. Sometimes
I'd
type my post in notepad, and then go to WordPress and paste the text
into
the appropriate field. A friend visited Australia last year and used
Word
Press to keep us all informed about her trip, and she told me tonight
that
she didn't have too many major issues using WordPress with Jaws. When I
did
my blog from Leader Dogs, I was able to read everyone's comments... it
was
great!!

I think your best bet would be to go to word press, open an account, and
play around with it. It's free. If you want to see how I did my guide
dog
training blog, I'd be happy to send you a link.

HTH

On 2012-12-11, at 2:53 PM, Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...> wrote:

Must be the month for new things for me. First Twitter, and now I want
explore Word Press.

I've never had a web site or blog, and want to check this all out. I've
heard that Word Press is and isn't accessible, or that parts are and
other
parts aren't accessible with Jaws. Can anyone point me in the right
direction to get started with Word Press? Are there any tweaks or
things
to know about accessibility and Jaws as I try this out?

Thanks.
Jean