Re: Accessing OCR Function In Jaws 13 for Scanned Image PDF Files

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

Below are several different notes from my OCR notes folder. There are links
to tutorials at the bottom.
Whenever you press Insert / Jaws key + R, this is called, Layered Keystrokes
, you can then press the question mark key to have Jaws tell you what all
the
options are in there.

Insert / Jaws key + R, then press the letter, O, for OCR Recognition, then
press the letter W, for window.

To navigate tables with 1 hand, press Insert / Jaws key + r, then T, for
tables.

Whenever you press Insert / Jaws key + R, this is called, Layered Keystrokes
, you can then press the question mark key to have Jaws tell you what all
the
options are in there.

Insert / Jaws key + R, then press the letter, O, for OCR Recognition, then
press the letter W, for window.

To navigate tables with 1 hand, press Insert / Jaws key + r, then T, for
tables.
The convenient OCR in jaws 13 is not a replacement for doing OCR on a
document but rather it is designed to perform OCR on screen elements.
Not only does it perform OCR on the screen element, it also allows you to
move through the results with the jaws cursor and if it has clickable spots
you
can use the jaws mouse click "NUMPAD slash" to activate the control.
As some one stated earlier to day they were able to register some software
that had a totally graphical screen.
Regards
Tom

While very long PDF documents are better left to Open Book, or Kurzweill,
the OCR function in Jaws 13 could come in handy for checking out fax pages
received by e-mail, and if the fax contains multiple pages, one can OCR the
first page, then press control+page down to go to the next page, and use the
OCR tool to read that second page, and so on down the number of pages in the
fax.

This will definitely come in very handy for me in my business.

Scorpio

Customizing the OCR Voice

To customize the voice you hear when reading recognized text, do the
following:
1.Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center. When Settings Center opens,
press CTRL+SHIFT+D to open Default.
2.In the tree view, navigate to and expand Voice Aliases, then select
Customize Voice Aliases.
3.Press F6 to move to the Voice Aliases page, and choose the Voice Aliases
button to open the dialog box.
4.Select OCRVoice from the list of voice aliasses and choose the Modify
button to customize the settings for this alias.
Roy

From: Eric Damery
To learn how to adjust the voice, please go to:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-public-beta.asp

There is a heading on this page for: Customizing the OCR Voice

Regards,
Eric

Click on the links below for OCR information.

Webinar Link:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/archives/2011-11-10_ConvenientOCR

OCR .MP3 Link:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/archives/JAWS-MP3/2011-11-10_ConvenientOCR-MP3.zip