From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 18:49
Subject: RE: Reading highlighted text

Dave:
In fact, in my little test, I was reading word-by-word. That's because,
with track changes, with say-all, read by line, read by sentence, or read by
paragraph, you won't hear the deleted text. You have to find the line with
the changes and read by word to hear the deleted text.

To test the reading of highlights using just the "Colors" scheme (during my
earlier test I was using the proof reading scheme), I pulled up an otherwise
clean document and highlighted a few words buried in the middle of a
sentence which was itself buried in the middle of a paragraph.
First, I found the text, as described above. Then, I selected it, chose
"highlight" in MS Word, and picked "Yellow."
Next, I pressed Alt+Insert+S and selected the "colors" scheme.
Then, I read the line where the highlighting appeared with Insert+up arrow.
JAWS started the line with "white background," but when it came to the
highlighted text, it said "yellow background" and continued reading the
text. When it finished the highlighted text, JAWS said white background and
continued reading. WOW!
Next, I tried to read by sentence. I moved up the page with a couple of PGUP
commands. Then, I sequentially read down the screen, sentence-by-sentence,
using Alt+down arrow. When it came to the sentence with the highlighted
text, it did exactly the same thing, namely, announced the highlighted text
with "Yellow Background."
That was better than I expected. So, I really decided to put JAWS 14 to the
test. Again, I moved up the screen with a couple of PGUP commands. Then
read by paragraph, using Control+down arrow. To my astonishment, JAWS again
passed the test, saying "Yellow Background" when it came to the highlighted
text and saying "white background" when the highlighting had concluded.
Finally came the granddaddy test -- the test of tests. I moved up the page
again with a couple of depressions of the PGUP key. Then, I pressed
Insert+down arrow to start say all.
I'm glad I was sitting down because, to my amazement, JAWS again read
"yellow background" when it came to the highlighted text.
Dave, like you, I didn't think this would work.
Clearly, if one is content to hear the color of the background, knowing that
is the highlighting, the above method works way, way better than I would
have predicted.
Happy highlighting Tracy!