From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 09:46
Subject: Finding unread items in Outlook

Hi. I've just found the answer to an Outlook problem that went unsolved
several months ago on this list. The question was how to locate unread mail,
especially in a folder containing many messages. Obviously, you can arrow up
or down for messages flagged as unread, but if a certain folder has hundreds
of messages, it is an unwieldy process.

I'm using Outlook 2003, so anyone interested who uses a later version will
need to figure out how it might work there. Note that this method is not
needed in Outlook Express, where simply pressing control-u brings up all
unread messages.

Here's the solution:

1. In the list of folders, find "Search folders." On my system in 2003, it
is the last item under "Personal folders."

2. Press right arrow to open. JAWS does not speak "Open," but if you arrow
up once and back down once, it won't say "Closed." I suggest assuming that
once right arrow is pressed, the folder is open.

3. Press the applications key.

4. The first item that JAWS verbalizes is "New search folder..." Press
enter.

5. A list appears. On my system, the first item verbalized is "Unread
messages." Press enter.

6. Tab once to arrive at a list of unread email from all folders. You can
open, mark or delete each message as desired.

7. to return to the regular folders list, press shift-tab to return to
"Unread," arrow up to "Search folders," then press left arrow to close.