Chatting with Facebook Friends

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I am trying to use JAWS to set up AIM to chat with my Facebook friends and am having a terrible time. I have gone online and have tried to follow the instructions I have run across, but nothing seems to be helping. So now I'm turning to all of you with the hope that someone can give me the advice and the help I need.

First of all, before I begin, I'd like to tell you that I am using JAWS 13, Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8. I begin having problems the minute I try to go to the www.aim.com web site. When the web site pops up, so does the Internet Explorer information bar. I have turned the information bar off by going to Internet Options, but it still keeps popping up. I can't figure out what to do to stop it from popping up.

I have managed to go to the page where the options of how to proceed with AIM pop up. I only want to use AIM to chat with my Facebook friends, so I have opted not to allow it to do such things as control my Facebook friends, control my messages, control my news feeds, etc., etc. Then after I have made these options I cannot find the link to continue to the next step. The one time I did I found myself on the Lifestream page, but could not find my buddy list. Sometimes I have gotten a notice that my browser is not supported. Do you know if Internet Explorer 8 is compatible with AIM? Could that be the reason why nothing is working?

There is another annoying thing that has been happening which I can't figure out how to stop. Ever since I downloaded AIM version 7.5 (the version of AIM I am using), every time I boot up my computer Internet Explorer 8 automatically loads the AOL main page in spite of the fact that AOL is not my home page. Do any of you know if there is a way I can stop this from happening?

Thank you listers for any help you can give.

Sincerely,

Rick Miller