From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:58 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Retaliation? You be the judge!

All:
As I'm sure many of you remember, I spearheaded the petition drive to get
Freedom Scientific to pay attention to users and fix bugs that have
persisted in JAWS. It has been up about a week, and the number of signers
has been steadily growing.
I was expecting to see a post on the Blind Computing List. When it didn't
show up, I decided to post a notice about the petition and invite people to
check it out. My message is at the bottom of this message.
I subscribe to the Blind Computing list (and I know several of you also
participate on it) only by digest. So, I see messages grouped in batches.
Here is the only message I have received from the Blind Computing list since
inviting listers to check out the Freedom Scientific petition:

***********
The body of the message was empty. I am making no accusations here. These
are the facts and only the facts. Draw your own conclusions!
I have no idea who moderates that list. Here is the email address from
which the above message was sent:
*******
Blind-Computing [blind-computing-bounces@jaws-users.com]
******

If this indeed is retaliation, then this is bigger than just sloppy
programming by a company.
JAWS, for the present, is still working, but don't be surprised if the next
time you hear from me it will be using Window-Eyes, NVDA, System Access, or
whatever -- and it won't be my choice!
Here is the message which appears to have resulted in my getting kicked off
the Blind Computing mailing list -- without any warning or any stated
reason:
**********
Hi All:

For anyone who uses, has used, or is thinking of using the JAWS Screen
reader or other Freedom Scientific products, I urge you to read through and
consider signing an online petition asking Freedom Scientific to give
increased attention to fixing the bugs in its software and to take greater
in introducing new features that tend to break functionality that previously
worked. The text of The petition spells out some more specifics and may be
worth considering. I, along with several others, authored the petition.
I also urge anyone who cares about making sure that blind and visually
impaired people have access to reliable and dependable products seriously to
consider reading and signing the petition.
If this has been mentioned before on this list, I apologize. I get the list
by digest and sometimes miss posts.
Making our voices heard is one way to keep pressure on companies like
Freedom Scientific to keep making their products better by not letting known
problems persist.

The URL is below. Otherwise, you can go to IPetitions.com and search on
"Freedom Scientific and JAWS "Thanks for giving this some thought.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/freedom-scientific-bug-fix-problems
Also, if you think there is some value in the petition, feel free to
circulate to your friends, colleagues, and other lists.
**********
Oh well. I was spending too much time on lists anyway. <SMILE>

REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY,
INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN
TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING
PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney
work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.