From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted
(CHFS DMS)
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 6:28 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: RE: Freedom Scientific Petition

A few of us are seniors now, but were not when we started. I was a mere
stripling of 32 when I saw my first Apple.

On 2012-10-02, at 10:24 AM, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
wrote:

There is absolutely no way that two thirds of all blind people
use JAWS. There are an estimated 1.2 million people in the US
classified as legally blind, but only a small fraction, perhaps less
than 10% use computers with screen readers. The overwhelming
majority
of blind people do not use computers, so the actual number of JAWS
users is probably quite small. Also, an estimated 70% of blind people
are unemployed, so they would have little or no means of acquiring
computers or commercial screen readers. And the vast majority of
JAWS
users do not belong to this or other blind-tech related mailing
lists,
so they would have no way of learning about the petition. FS keeps
the number of JAWS customers a closely guarded secret, so nobody
really knows how many blind people are actually using it. But if I
had
to venture a guess, I would say that the number of JAWS users might
be
somewhere between 50,000 and 150,000, but this is only a wild guess
not based on any facts or evidence.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marquette, Ed"
<Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>