From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 14:15
Subject: Re: Freedom Scientific Petition

At 62 years of age, I am also a senior and have yet to encounter another
blind senior who uses a computer with JAWS or any other screen reader. And
most older sighted seniors I know want nothing to do with computers, which
they find difficult and confounding to learn and set up.

Gerald

On 2012-10-02, at 10:24 AM, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@verizon.net>
wrote:

There is absolutely no way that two thirds of all blind people
use JAWS. There are an estimated 1.2 million people in the US
classified as legally blind, but only a small fraction, perhaps less
than 10% use computers with screen readers. The overwhelming majority
of blind people do not use computers, so the actual number of JAWS
users is probably quite small. Also, an estimated 70% of blind people
are unemployed, so they would have little or no means of acquiring
computers or commercial screen readers. And the vast majority of JAWS
users do not belong to this or other blind-tech related mailing lists,
so they would have no way of learning about the petition. FS keeps
the number of JAWS customers a closely guarded secret, so nobody
really knows how many blind people are actually using it. But if I had
to venture a guess, I would say that the number of JAWS users might be
somewhere between 50,000 and 150,000, but this is only a wild guess
not based on any facts or evidence.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marquette, Ed"
<Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>