Re: Freedom Scientific Petition

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

how many of those people are seniors? don't forget that probably three quarters of the visually-impaired population are elderly.

At 04:50 PM 10/7/2012, you wrote:
Very odd statistics... what are they based on? You say less than 10% of blind people use computers with a screen reader? I'd say that 95% of the people I know who are blind, and, I know a lot of people who are blind, use a computer with a screen reader, and, most of these use Jaws. I'm not criticizing you, just wonder how you arrive at your stats.

Russell
Sent from my iMac running Mountain Lion!

On 2012-10-02, at 10:24 AM, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@verizon.net> wrote:

There is absolutely no way that two thirds of all blind people
use JAWS. There are an estimated 1.2 million people in the US classified as legally blind, but only a small fraction, perhaps less than 10% use computers with screen readers. The overwhelming majority of blind people do not use computers, so the actual number of JAWS users is probably quite small. Also, an estimated 70% of blind people are unemployed, so they would have little or no means of acquiring computers or commercial screen readers. And the vast majority of JAWS users do not belong to this or other blind-tech related mailing lists, so they would have no way of learning about the petition. FS keeps the number of JAWS customers a closely guarded secret, so nobody really knows how many blind people are actually using it. But if I had to venture a guess, I would say that the number of JAWS users might be somewhere between 50,000 and 150,000, but this is only a wild guess not based on any facts or evidence.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marquette, Ed"
<Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>