From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 12:28 PM
Subject: Karlen Communications and Karen McCall books

I actually talked to Karen. She is a very nice and quite knowledgeable MS Office person.
I bought one of her book packages on MS Office. It is on Office 2007, but I figure the changes to 2010 won't be that difficult to master.
My challenge is my lack of familiarity with using PDF documents. I almost always convert them to Word. Karen's book, however, is protected, and I understand that.
The main part of the book (and there are separate sample files and sample summary files, including a summary of ribbon commands in Excel format) is a huge PDF file. After 20 minutes of trying to load it, I killed the operation and, in accessibility options, set Acrobat to read in chunks if the file is greater than 10 pages.
I read the JAWS help topics on Acrobat and learned stuff I already knew, e.g., the quick keys and other HTML reading commands work.
What about reliably going from page to page and landing at the top of the page? Control pagedown does not work reliably. Using the Acrobat View, Go to, Next page command doesn't work reliably. Right arrow key does not work at all.
Anything I'm missing? Surely, something like this, which is supposed to be accessable to screen readers, should be accessable.
With JAWS it is also painfully slow. Five seconds to go from one page to the next is not acceptable.

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640