Re: Freedom Scientific Petition

Dave...

Nope, and no idea.

Dave Carlson

From: "Robert Logue" <bobcat11@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 14:45
Subject: Re: Freedom Scientific Petition

I wonder if FS would release the number of licences or users they have
sold. Do we know how many Jaws users there are?

On 10/2/2012 10:24 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

There is absolutely no way that two thirds of all blind people use JAWS.
There are an estimated 1.2 million people in the US classified as
legally blind, but only a small fraction, perhaps less than 10% use
computers with screen readers. The overwhelming majority of blind
people do not use computers, so the actual number of JAWS users is
probably quite small. Also, an estimated 70% of blind people are
unemployed, so they would have little or no means of acquiring computers
or commercial screen readers. And the vast majority of JAWS users do
not belong to this or other blind-tech related mailing lists, so they
would have no way of learning about the petition. FS keeps the number
of JAWS customers a closely guarded secret, so nobody really knows how
many blind people are actually using it. But if I had to venture a
guess, I would say that the number of JAWS users might be somewhere
between 50,000 and 150,000, but this is only a wild guess not based on
any facts or evidence.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marquette, Ed"
<Ed.Marquette@...>