-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of David Maynard
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:28 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

I don't blame you. All the whining and crying on here is sickening.

From: "Richard Holloway" <rholloway@...>
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal
Date: September 24th 2012 5:33 PM

An iPad is a highly portable relatively powerful computer with a vast number

of apps available. Some handy apps can tell you what color things are from
the built in camera. Another app can take a photo of money and tell you what

the bill value is. Notes can be taken. Emails can be sent and received. Many

schools are now moving to iDevices instead of notetakers and pairing them
with Bluetooth Braille keyboards and displays.

I have a good number of blind friends and associates who are becoming
proficient iPhone / iPad / iPod users. My key objection to iDevices is they
are inconvenient to use with the a Bluetooth keyboard as opposed to a single

unit such as a BrailleNote when you're walking around and trying to read or
type. They are cheaper (even with a Braille keyboard and display) than most
conventional notetakers.

From a JAWS context, the PAC Mate from FS may be the simplest bridging
device between a notetaker and a PC since the PAC Mates have built-in JAWS
and can also be used to license JAWS directly on a PC when attached by USB.

As to Braille use by those who lost sight as adults being impossible, that
is simply untrue. Many, MANY adults have learned Braille as adults. In
general it seems to take adults longer to learn to feel the Braille, and
they seem to max out at a slower reading speed. I know a good number of
adults who have learned to read Braille or greatly increased their reading
proficiency by attending a resident program at the Colorado Center for the
Blind or the Louisiana Center. I have a friend who is an instructor at the
Louisiana center actually and know several people who work at both.

Free courses by mail through the Hadley School may be less helpful for some
than attending a center, but are still of much value and many adults have
learned basic Braille skills with the help of Hadley as well. And again,
back to my earlier suggestion, chances are great that people with failing
hearing will have an easier time learning to read Braille on a Braille
display attached to a machine with a screen reader, and I have seen small
used Braille displays for sale on eBay and elsewhere for a few hundred
dollars, and even a local Lion's club or any number of other sources might
be able to provide assistance if state agencies cannot solve funding for a
particular need.

I have a sighted adult associate who learned to read Braille by touch and
she explains it is very handy to be able to read driving directions while
she drives without taking her eyes off the road. Fancy that. Adults can and
do learn to read Braille by touch, be they blind or sighted. Do many TVIs
read Braille visually? Sure they do. What's the problem with that? I wasn't
aware of the BEING a "wrong" way to read Braille...

I apologize to all if I have helped draw this thread too far off topic, but
it is really important that those who can benefit from Braille are aware
that it isn't just for blind kids to learn. It is a gateway to literacy for
the blind, and again, in the context of this list, Braille is an integral
part of JAWS, and really a key reason that many JAWS users use the product
over a variety of more affordable (or even free) solutions.

I find it a bit ironic to hear arguments against using the Braille access
built into JAWS by those who are seemingly so anxious to point out all the
missing and defective aspects of the product.

Best regards to all concerned with this matter,

Richard

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 24, 2012, at 4:17 PM, "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

So exactly what do you use your IPad for? If you use it to store notes
and contacts, this can be accomplished far more cheaply by a simple
Olympus digital recorder. If you already have a computer at work or home,
then it seems to me that an IPad is superfluous.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cristobal" <crismunoz54@...>