It is also worth mentioning again that 32-bit virus protection, is generally a problem with 64-bit setups, as are certain 32-bit database programs and CAD programs. Anything 32-bit with embedded drivers will probably be an issue and there may be problems finding certain external driver solutions for some equipment (especially older pieces). Also, if you have any really old 16-bit applications, I'm not aware of a solution to run them under a 64-bit system. (It might be possible by running an emulator under another emulator, but I've only personally done that with Macs.) Those are the items that come to my mind, and surely there are many more which I'm not aware of. Some problems may be greater than others depending on which 64-bit OS you're running (Vista, vs. Windows 7, for example.)

I'm rather new to the JAWS world and to this listserv, so I ask questions that a new user may tend to ask, but I've been dealing with computers quite heavily since the very early 1980's. I'm not trying to make myself sound like some super-expert, but I have been around the block a time or two. I'm just trying to make certain people understand there are risks associated with these upgrades if they are not fully researched. Even as a fairly knowledgable computer user, I ended up with a trashed OS from trying to load 32-bit JAWS 9 on a 64-bit Vista PC, so can this happen to others. My big mistake was that I had just asked Freedom Scientific what the (then-current) JAWS 9 worked on, so I didn't think twice about loading this on a new 64-bit machine a week or so later. How many here would question their computer tech if told "oh yes, you can run any 32-bit software on your new setup, just give me your JAWS 9 disks and I'll load that up for you on the your new machine"? Until this happened to me, I'd have trusted such a tech as well.

If people don't want to use my bad experience to avoid a huge mess on their computer, so be it, and I know this is much less likely to happen very often than back in 2007. I'm just trying to help if a few people might not know about this stuff. This isn't theoretical, it happened to me, it was repeatable (tech support initially initially had me wipe the drive repeatedly and reinstall Vista and JAWS) and it wasted more hours of my time than I even care to remember. So if people want to ignore my advice, no worries; they'll figure this out in their own way...

On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Steve wrote:

That's because Jaws 9 wasn't out in a 64-bit version.

Jaws and Win-eyes are too tightly embedded with the operating system, so those are the main exceptions; you need the Jaws 64-bit version to run on a 64-bit machine. The first 64-bit version of Jaws was 10, and the first 64-bit version of Win Eyes was 7.1.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Holloway" <rholloway@gopbc.org>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit

Well, JAWS 9 comes to mind (which absolutely destroyed the OS on our Vista PC when we bought a 64-bit machine), at least under Vista, as well as most (if not all) virus protection software.

It can be really hit, or miss... (buyer beware).

-RH

On Jul 30, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Steve wrote:

Richard,

I don't know of any 32-bit programs that won't run on a 64-bit system, although I suppose there may be some. But, that is what the Programs\x86 folder is for, that's where the 32-bit programs that run in Win 7 or Vista 64-bit editions live.

Jaws is available in either 32 or 64-bit editions. If you have the Jaws installation DVD, it will recognize which version you need for your system; if not, just go to the FS site and download the correct version.
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Holloway" <rholloway@gopbc.org>