Re: A Modest Proposal

Soronel Haetir

The natural voices can only go so fast, and usable speed wise it's
quite a bit lower than eloquence, no matter how much power you throw
at it. However, I likely have the most hardware in a single box and
by the time you get to what I have they are in fact plenty responsive.
I have an 8 core Xeon running at 3ghz system with 32gb ram as my
desktop system.

The SAPI5 voices from Ivona can go a fair bit faster than the solo
direct (or whatever other interface nuance chooses to slap on top of
it)but I find them less comfortable to use. Just the quirks in
enunciation. The book port plus has what I would call a
"semi-mechanical" synthesizer, and that I actually find very
comfortable to use., even with the speed increased to 4 or 5.

(That is one problem we face, every system I've seen measures speed in
different terms so it's no so easy to do a direct comparison

On 9/24/12, John Sherrer <john@whitecane.org> wrote:
I have tried the Human like voices and found them slow and not very
responsive. But the electronic voices can go fast and are ddresponsive.
It
seems to me that the extra harmonics on the human sounding voices take a
lot more processing power to generate, maybe the problem will be solved
with
more processing power? If someone on this list using a 12 core processor
tried the human voices? I am not an expert on programming, or how the
voices are generated.
I noticed that when I downloaded the JAWS beta that they offer 64 bit
voices, has anyone tried them or do we have to wait for the official
release?
John Sherrer