Re: Graphics and Blanks

Soronel Haetir

For web apps you pretty much need to get whoever put this together to
add "alt" attributes to the img pages.

You *might* be able to do something with your browser and scripting,
basically for this one site recognize these particular source HTML
sequences and replace them with something you can use, but honestly
that is very iffy compared to getting the application developer to
fix it on their end.

On 9/14/12, Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@kutakrock.com> wrote:
I think I may just be stuck on this one, but I thought I would give the list
to try.
At work, we use a web-based document management program. When one searches
for documents, the results come up in a table. The table reads just fine;
however, a number of the documents are in PDF format and are nothing but
pictures. Sometimes, they have been run through an OCR package and have
been converted to Word format.
In the results table in the column just ahead of the document name, there
are little icons or graphics. They indicate to sighted users whether the
document in question is an e-mail, is an e-mail message with an attachment,
is a Word document, is a PDF document, and so on. These graphics are not
read by JAWS.
In the JAWS manual, there is a section on labeling graphics; however, that
section indicates that, if it is a true graphic, the word graphic" and a
number will be enunciated by JAWS.
In fact, when I move the mouse (JAWS cursor) over this graphic, JAWS just
says "blank".
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to label this thing?

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@kutakrock.com

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.