Re: Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit

Richard Holloway

Specifically, the drivers for the printer would be the issue to check on, but I'd be surprised if there is not a fix by now.

Richard

On Jul 30, 2011, at 6:40 PM, Crystal French wrote:

Thanks, Steve, for the link to the FAQ's. I'm going to go read this.

i was afraid this would be complicated.

From what you guys are saying it looks like my equipment such as my Juliet Pro embosser will have to be considered.

<sigh>

Crystal

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <k8sp@sbcglobal.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit

Adrian,

There's a lot to consider, I don't think it is as simple as your tech leads you to believe.

You can run a 32-bit version of Windows 7 on a 64-bit capable CPU. But, if you then decide to upgrade to a 64-bit version of windows, you'll need to backup your files and do a custom installation. Because of the added benefits of being able to utilize more memory, unless you have a specific reason where you need to stay with a 32-bit version, it just doesn't make much sense. Most existing applications will work with Win 7 64-bit edition. If an older app won't work, I'd be very amazed if it would work with any version of Windows 7 at all. I think the only alternative for getting an app that won't work in Win 7 at all to work would be to get Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and run it in Xp Mode. You may need to run a different screen-reader like NVDA in XP mode, I seem to recall that there were some difficulties running Jaws in XP mode in Win 7 professional. Now, you may have some older hardware that may have Win 7 32-bit drivers but not 64-bit drivers, in that case, you may want to stick with Win 7 32-bit edition.

Here is an FAQ from Microsoft which covers the differences between 32 and 64 bit editions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

To address your tech's claim about being able to upgrade a 32-bit machine to 64-bit, this is correct if and only if you have a 64-bit capable CPU. You can see if you do under the system performance tab in Vista or Win 7, or if you use XP, just right-click the my computer icon and look under properties. It will say 64-bit capable if it is.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>