From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:17 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit

Adrian,

There's a lot to consider, I don't think it is as simple as your tech leads
you to believe.

You can run a 32-bit version of Windows 7 on a 64-bit capable CPU. But, if
you then decide to upgrade to a 64-bit version of windows, you'll need to
backup your files and do a custom installation. Because of the added
benefits of being able to utilize more memory, unless you have a specific
reason where you need to stay with a 32-bit version, it just doesn't make
much sense. Most existing applications will work with Win 7 64-bit edition.
If an older app won't work, I'd be very amazed if it would work with any
version of Windows 7 at all. I think the only alternative for getting an app
that won't work in Win 7 at all to work would be to get Windows 7 Pro or
Ultimate and run it in Xp Mode. You may need to run a different
screen-reader like NVDA in XP mode, I seem to recall that there were some
difficulties running Jaws in XP mode in Win 7 professional. Now, you may
have some older hardware that may have Win 7 32-bit drivers but not 64-bit
drivers, in that case, you may want to stick with Win 7 32-bit edition.

Here is an FAQ from Microsoft which covers the differences between 32 and 64
bit editions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-freque
ntly-asked-questions

To address your tech's claim about being able to upgrade a 32-bit machine to
64-bit, this is correct if and only if you have a 64-bit capable CPU. You
can see if you do under the system performance tab in Vista or Win 7, or if
you use XP, just right-click the my computer icon and look under properties.
It will say 64-bit capable if it is.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve Lansing, MI