From: <epierce@surewest.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:42 AM
Subject: working conditions in access tech industry (quality control)

(The original question was about bad quality control vs. bad management.)

Instead of flaming him, I subsequently asked a highly annoyed G. Levy:
"Do you have any direct knowledge of working conditions within FS for their
developers or other technical workers?

Do you have any direct knowledge, other than as a consumer, of the business
practices of access tech companies?"

--

You then asked if I had any answers to the questions I asked, a rather peculiar request. If I had the answers, I would have stated them instead of the questions. Unless you suspect that I was asking rhetorical bullsh*t questions, which I was not.

I "suspect" that working at FS requires considerable moral compromise. Please correct me if wrong, but the story that has been told is that the founders left, or were pushed out. And all the competition died out. The most creative, dynamic, morally commited people that created the existing screen reader software industry were replaced by corporate bureaucrats by a foreign owner. Then quality plunged. Presumably high paid consultants and "life coaches" were brought in to do "team building" and "restructuring" to little or no effect.

The access tech market is generally an appalling mess (it has both bad and good elements), and has been for the 20+ years that I've been familiar with it. I have seen complete charlatans and very bad products. Exactly why it is a big mess remains to be explained. I do know that the behavior of organizations on the consumer side (many of which are taxpayer supported) is highly dysfunctional (access is promoted as much because of careerism of access and compliance bureaucrats as from altruism, principle or dedication to providing working conditions necessary to provide good tech support to disabled clients). Presumably the producers adapt to customer dysfunction. Eventually "style over substance" reigns.

It might be possible to "back into" an answer of sorts by thinking about why an "accessibility built in" movement is being promoted by some activists and scholars. Those activists would not be promoting "built in" accessibility unless there were problems with the current industry.

I was taught that the burden of democracy is constant vigilance. When public monies (or use of state police powers) are combined with the profit motives of private contractors, there is always the danger of corruption, malfeasance or organizational dysfunction.

Of course most of the disabled people here only want to get the sh*tty stuff that the government provides to them from the vendor working at least 1/2 a$$ correctly.

My understanding is that there is another JAWS support email list that is run by control freaks and thought police that refuse to condone any criticism of access vendors.

I do not know if that list provides higher quality specific advice about product problems/resolutions.

But, hey, maybe the frustrating problems that have gone unresolved through JAWS 11, 12 and 13 (Win7) will be solved in 14. Then I can go away happy and not bother Mr. Levy. Hope springs eternal.

have a nice day.

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 19:03:37 -0400
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Gerald Levy"
<bwaylimited@verizon.net>)
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>

Why don't you take your idiotic ramblings elsewhere and stop wasting our
time? If you have nothing constructive to add to this forum, then get
lost.

Gerald

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 08:50:35 -0600
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Cy Selfridge"
<cyselfridge@comcast.net>)
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>

What many, many JAWS users are unhappy about is the fact that we get new
release after new release filled with bugs and things which used to work
and
now no longer do.